|Routine Lawn Mower Servicing
Every Month or 12 Hours Running Operation
- Remove the lawn mowers spark plug and clean the electrodes with a
wire brush. Reset the plug gap to the size recommended by the
- Check the condition of all electrical wires / leads on the
- Blades - check the cutting edges, file down small nicks only. If
large nicks are present, remove the cutter blade and check the balance of
- Check the security of all nuts, bolts, and fasteners on the
- On cylinder lawnmowers - check the setting of the cylinder blade
with the fixed bottom blade, ensure it has the correct
- Lubricate all moving parts of the height adjusters and mower controls.
- Thoroughly clean the lawn mower with a stiff brush to remove any
grass or soil build-up. Jet pressure wash if needed taking care on
- Check the fuel and oil levels.
Every Two Months or 25 Hours Running Operation
In addition to the above items:
- Clean the air filter, replace the filter if needed.
- If contact breakers fitted - clean and reset the contact breaker gap.
- Drain and refill the lawn mowers engine oil.
- If fitted - clean the fuel filter.
- Check the idling, speed up response and adjust the lawnmowers
carburettor if needed.
- Remove the blade (rotary mower and hover mower) and check the balance.
- Adjust the mowers hand controls if needed.
- Adjust the chains or belts on cylinder mowers and self propelled
- Lubricate all moving parts, including cutting height adjustment
- Check the blade (cylinder mower) is not bent.
- Check the condition and sharpness of the blade. If necessary
have the blade ground at a specialist lawnmower repair service centre or
- Grease the drive chains (if fitted), we recommend an anti fling
motorcycle chain lubricant.
- Inspect any drive belts for wear or cracking (replace if needed).
End Of Season or Every 12 Months Operation
In addition to all above items:
- Check the compression of the lawnmowers engine (use a screw in
cylinder compression tester) - if not satisfactory, consider overhauling the engine.
- Remove the engines cylinder head, remove all carbon deposits,
inspect valves/valve seats, consider regrinding; adjust valve
- Check the mowers starter mechanism, renew pull cord if needed.
- Drain and refill the lawnmowers engine oil.
- Drain and clean the carburettor.
- Clean the mowers fuel / petrol tap.
- Check and clear the vent hole in the petrol tank cap.
- Fit a new air filter.
- Check condition of the mowers blade. If blunt or damaged either
have reground back to the correct cutting profile and balanced or replace.
- Check the condition of all visible bearings, replace where worn.
- Refill with fresh fuel, check all controls operate correctly.
- Check condition of the lawnmowers grass collection bag/box.
- If storing at end of season add a fuel additive.